Hens stoped laying- coccidiosis??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinkfeather, Nov 13, 2008.

1. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    All of our hens have stoped laying. They're all mature and some are molting, but we're getting 0 eggs from them! Think it could be Cocci? If it is, could I just feed them chick feed with amprolium (sp?) in it?? They show no other signs of any disease. They all seem plump and active. I wormed them not to long ago also.

Thanks

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

This time of the year, when they are moulting...and with diminished light...the hens will slow way down, even stop for a while. I seriously doubt its cocci, unless you have seen blood in thier stools?? Let them finish the moulting...then increase thier light to get them laying again. I have 50+ hens right now, and am getting less than a dozen eggs a day. Winter does wierd things to hens! LOL

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I agree!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I agree!

+2

5. shelsob1994

shelsob1994 New Egg

Nov 14, 2008
    Southern,Maine
    :|
    Just curious I know some of my hens are molting but hubby noticed they are having watery stools is this a sign of infection or will they do this when not laying??

Michelle from Maine

6. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    A chickens stool should be almost solid either brown or green-gray with white spots. The color is feces and the white in it is urine. Too watery could mean they are not getting enough corn and crushed shell. Mix equal parts Whole corn, Whole oats, hen scratch and hen scratch. Hang a small container of crushed shell, granite grit or iron ore in their pens to be availible 24/7. The shell or grit is their teeth. That will help them digest.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What are they eating for treats? Are they drinking alot?

It is not unusual for hens to have watery ploppy poop. It should tighten up on its own. If not start looking for other syptoms that might indicate an issue.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not to get really technical about poo, but are you talking clear watery stools or brown watery stools?
    The brown liquid stools are normal. Called cecal or ceacal stools they happen every 8 to 10 movements.
    Here's a chart with pics to show you what's normal and what's not:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17568

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by