hens stopped laying 3 days ago.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozarkjeep, Nov 1, 2008.

1. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    Ive got 2 golden laced wyandottes, and a black sex link.

all 3 have been laying for a few months now.

earlier this week, they just STOPPED.

it did get cold a few nights, frosty cold.

but its warm again now.

is there anything I can do to get them back into the laying mood again?

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Mine are not laying either. Fall vacation!

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Chickens require 14 hours of light a day to keep laying though the winter. I've been supplimenting their light now for nearly a month. If you aren't adding extra light to the coop, they may be done for the winter. They'll start back up in the Spring when the days get longer, or you can try adding light now. However sometimes when they shut down for the winter they won't start up again even if you add the extra light. You've got to be on top of if and add it right away. But you can try.

4. ozarkjeep

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    oh great...

so I might have blown it huh?

ok, it is darker sooner.

I need to ad light INSIDE the coop?
    or over it?

5. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Inside the coop would be best I think..

My hens did this a few weeks ago, and now there laying up a storm!

I'm sure they will be back in no time [​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been supplementing with light for about 3 weeks now, from 5-8 am. No change in laying, getting average of 11 eggs daily from 12 golden comets. Oics of setup in home page below. If you use light, offset slightly away from the roosts.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    i have a light in the coop. it also add a little extra heat for them. i had all of mine stop laying last month(we lose light early in AK), that's when I added a light (60 Watts) most have started laying, except for my EE's. I was hoping they'd start soon.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Some just won't start again until the cycle is complete for them.

Add the light inside the coop and add it to the early morning rather than late night. This will help them go to roost normally as dusk comes and they still have enough light to find their roosts. Put it on a timer because missing even one day can send birds into a molt or shut them down for the winter.

Depending on the size of your coop will depend on the amount of light needed. Some small coops work fine with a 15 watt bulb others need larger.

Also remember that chickens lay best when the temp is between 45 & 80 degrees so if it gets too much colder they'll slow down some.

According to "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" a 60 watt light 7 feet above the floor provides enough light to light 200 sq feet. A reflector helps increase light as well.

Edited to add: Even though they need 14 hours, Storey's says to keep them at 15 hours of light.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  9. ozarkjeep

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    I addded some "ropelight" from my daughters room.

timer puts it on from 5am-7am. and on again from 5pm-7pm

it took a few days but they are laying again.

in fact, I think my cuckoo marans is finally laying, since ive gotten some dark brown eggs lately!

thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by