Hens stopped laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CaliBlueChicken, Sep 26, 2010.

1. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Hello,
    I don't know what is going on. All my hens stopped laying eggs about a month ago. About 2-3 months ago only about half were laying... now no one is laying. I breifly read another thread about this and someone said they might be molting. There is a big area with alot of feathers on the ground. Everyone seems happy and normal, eating, drinking running around. The usual. I have orpingtons/wydonette mixes. I have one hen who has been broody laying on nothing. Around June or so I found lice on some of our new chickens and I treated them (successfully without chemicals! [​IMG] All nartural/organic [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=380228) and haven't seen any since.

Hopefully someone has some ideas. Thanks!

2. jemmasgrandma

jemmasgrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    my butcher told me if hens have roundworms egg production will drop...she also said that she's seen lots of worms this summer during butchering -Indiana

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    They are probably molting, which is very healthy for them. When chickens don't molt and get a break from laying they could die at only 2-3 years old!

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    During the molt hens usually quit laying. Your broody hen will quit laying too, until after shes done.

5. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Oh shoot I forgot to subscribe to my own post... I was wondering why I didnt get any replys in my inbox. Thanks everyone, yes indeed they are molting. I have been wondering and wondering if I should worm them, I hear some never do it, some do it every so often, some do it like clock work. I suppose since they are molting it wouldnt be a good time since they are under more stress from it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by