hens stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickadde, Apr 14, 2011.

1. chickadde

chickadde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Why has my hens quit laying? I have had them for a year now and they have layed eggs just about everyday up until a month ago and now I'm lucky if I get three eggs a week. I got the hens when they were fully grown so don't quite know the age of them. I do have another hen though that has been brooding on four eggs today being the 20th day. Could this have something to do with why the other hens quit laying? Very new at having a hen brood this being my first time experiencing this. I have to say its very exciting! Can't wait to see the new chickies!

2. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I am new to chickens so I may not be correct, but i did read somewhere that at 13 to 15 months they lose their feathers and get new ones. They after that lay larger, but few eggs from then on. Hopefully someone who knows more will answer you , and possibly correct me if I am in error.

3. chickadde

Apr 11, 2011
    Thank you for your help and yes one of the hens did lose her feathers over the winter.

4. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    After laying for an extended period, chickens moult (lose their feather), quit laying, take a rest, regrow their feathers, and start laying again. In the natural rythem of things, this usually happens in fall/winter and then they're ready to lay again in spring when it's the best time for chicks. Could this be what has happened?

5. chickadde

Apr 11, 2011
    Your probably right, so hopefully soon they will get back to laying eggs.

6. hipsterchick

hipsterchick New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Portland, OR
    We have 11 hens (some 2year olds & some 1 year) + 1 rooster. Only getting 1-2 eggs a day. Could it be that the older hens are too old? It's still cold here & wondering if it's the weather? Feel like there's a lot of mental stuff going on with the hens. Some are getting excessively pecked & some bothered by the rooster. We've tried everything to make them comfortable. Getting very frustrated trying to figure out why suddenly we get so few eggs??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by