Hens stopped laying eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zeldadog, May 3, 2008.

1. zeldadog

zeldadog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2007
    NC
    Anyone got hens that have quit laying eggs? Is it a certain time of season that they stop for a while,or are they molting, I was getting 3 eggs a day back about two months ago. Anyone with any suggestions.

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You can find out more about this problem on my site HERE . Good luck!

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    My hens did that when it got real cold and I think went through a molt. How old are your hens, they can typically go through a molt around 9-10 months, some don't til they are 18 months. I had 30 chickens and did not get an egg for about 6 weeks. Some times it just last for about 2 weeks. I heard you can give them redpepper flakes ground to stimulate but really I'm not sure how much. I never tried that. I actually had to buy storebought eggs for a couple weeks.Yuck!!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Where are you located? If it's winter (i.e. shorter days) where you are, or if they are molting, that would explain it.
    JJ

5. zeldadog

zeldadog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2007
    NC
    Its spring here I'm in lincoln county N.C . Its funny some days you might get one egg then nothing for a week the hens are not losing any feathers like when there molting and I feed them laying mash everyday.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I'm in Southern Illinois. I have seven full size hens and was averaging five eggs a day a few weeks ago. Now I'm getting two eggs a day. One of the hens is sitting right though so I guess it means I'm getting two eggs out of six hens. I'm taking care of ten banties that are giving us about six eggs a day. One of them decided to start sitting too. So, yes, my hens have slowed down production. I thought maybe they were laying in the woods but even after keeping them in the pen they still weren't producing more. I'm not seeing a lot of feathers so I don't know if they are starting a spring molt (is there a spring molt?) or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by