Hens stopped laying eggs.

djc66007

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 7, 2013
Our hens stopped laying eggs after the first "hard freeze" a couple of weeks ago. Any ideas?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you join us! Chickens naturally slow down egg production as the weather gets colder. Some people say to put lights in the coop, because chickens need 16 hours of daylight in order to lay eggs. I personally don't use lights, but that's only because my coop doesn't have electricity. If you really want/need eggs, go ahead and use lights. I would suggest buying a timer (I think you can find them at TSC) that you can set to turn on and off at specific times of the day. That way you don't have to worry about turning them on and off at the right times.

Thanks! Guess I'll keep feeding the girls even though we're not getting eggs. :)
I thought maybe there was something wrong but if this isn't unusual, I won't worry.

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! X3 your girls are probably stopped laying eggs because of the shorter days and/or chickens often molt this time of year.

Mschickenmoma x 2 She nailed it. Just be patient, or make accommodations for lighting. That's the options. This time of year is not good for egg production on some breeds. Many breeds do well, while some flocks are coming out of a molt. Good luck with the hens!

Last edited:
As others have stated the drop in egg production is most likely a factor of shortened day length. Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom