1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens stopped laying??? Not due to winter light.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katy9532, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Katy9532

Katy9532 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry, this is a bit long!
    This summer my hens started slowing their egg production to almost a halt. They are all 2 yrs old. One of them molted, so I figured she would start back up again, but she never has. I also blamed it on the Texas heat, but it has cooled off now, and they are under lights at night. They laid with out a problem all year last year, (their first year of laying).
    I asked the feed store where I bought them, they have no ideas. I currently only have one hen laying, my black sexlink (my small flock is mix breed).
    They have free access to fresh water and their feeder of clean purina layena 24 hrs a day. They free range around our backyard with good green grass and plenty of bugs from sun up to sundown. We also throw out a large cup of layena in the yard and any table scraps that are safe for them (fruits and veggies mainly).
    Any ideas? Please help! I miss my fresh eggs!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Katy9532

Oct 29, 2012
    Forgot to add they are not hiding their eggs. We have combed the yard for a hidden nest and there is none.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    When exactly did the molt happen? A molt can take several months before they resume laying.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Check their body weights. If they are thin, maybe you should worm them. Also, look for mites. Mites can really drag a hen down. How much protein is in your feed. I have found my older hens will lay better on an 18% or better feed.

5. Katy9532

Oct 29, 2012
    The molt in the one hen happened in early summer, I'd say May time frame? I assumed it was over as she had fully grown back her feathers months ago. All the hens had stopped laying by mid June as the summer temps crept higher. Now, I get one egg a day from the black sexlink.

The feed they get is a 16% protein. I can try a higher content. They do not seem thin to me. They range in sizes due to being different breeds, but I feel they are all in good weight.

I have not seen any mites. I checked the birds, and did not notice any pest in there coop when I cleaned it yesterday.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. Katy9532

Oct 29, 2012
    Bumping for any other suggestions.

Any other ideas?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Days are short...are you using supplemental light?
    How old are they?

8. Katy9532

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, they have a light in the coop and get at least 16hrs of light a day.
    They are about 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by