Hens stopped laying suddenly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carbon county chicks, Nov 9, 2010.

1. carbon county chicks

carbon county chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    We have 9 hens that have been laying for a long time. Some are 1 1/2 old and some are 1 year old but all have been laying great for a while now. All of the sudden they all stopped laying at the same time. We went from getting 7-8 eggs a day to 0 overnight. We get 1 egg every other day. I know they are supposed to slow down when it gets cold but completely stop?

At first, I thought maybe they were laying and something was getting the eggs or the chickens were eating them or something. So started to listen to see if they make all that noise when they lay and they aren't.

Any ideas would be so helpful!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Are you sure their not starting to molt??

3. carbon county chicks

Mar 10, 2009
    Do they usually molt in the winter?? They could be molting... I have no idea.

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Yes. Winter=molting usually. The shorter days also make a difference. Half of my flock is molting so I'm getting fewer eggs than I was a month ago.

5. carbon county chicks

Mar 10, 2009
    how do I keep them warm when they are loosing their feathers?? won't they die from it being cold?

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I recently went from 10-12/day to only 2-4/day. Seemed like it happened overnight. I figured it was the cold and/or the shortened days. Added a light on a timer that gives them 4 extra hours. They are upto giving me ~6 eggs/day. Honestly don't know if it was the light, or the slight warm up we had, or that they are used to the cold already. Eitherway, I'm happy with 6, but 2 was pretty low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by