1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens stopped laying!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by isuperman35, Jul 29, 2015.

1. isuperman35

isuperman35 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    In the last two weeks, there is only about one hen laying every other day. Before that we were getting 4-7 eggs a day. There are about 12 girls, different breeds, ranging from 1-3 years old. Any tips? It has finally gotten hot down here in Texas, but I don't remember this happening the last two summers.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It may be a combination of excessive heat, increased age of the birds (they just need a break) or the onset of molting.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on @sourland 's advice. This is the time of year that chickens begin their molting process. Plus since your birds are getting older, they will naturally start declining.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think Sourland's got it right. I'm sure they will pick up when the weather cools down

6. dadschicks

dadschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    Los Gatos, California
    Thanks for all of the chat about hens not laying. I have four girls. They are about 2.5 years old. It has been super hot here in recent weeks and none of my chick are laying. They also seem quieter than usual. Not a peep out of them. I see that one is molting, but the others don't appear to be.

This is our first time raising chicks, but we use to get about three eggs a day. Now one every few days or not at all. They didn't slow down or stop last summer, so I am confused. They get oyster shells. Someone mentioned adding salt to their diet. Is that something they sell in the feed store? Do you add to the oyster shells, their crumbles or other?

Any help is appreciated.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by