Hens stopped laying

Worried mama 51

Hatching
Nov 12, 2015
I have 9 buff orpingtons that are 1 1/2 years old. They have stopped laying and went through a very mild molt. Two weeks ago one of them layed a paper thin egg that they broke. They are fed a good lay pellet and crushed oyster shells. I am ready to get rid of them. They are beautiful hens. Do I need a rooster for them to lay or do they need to free range the yard. They are in an enclosed coop because we have coyotes and possums. If someone has an answer, please shoot me an email at [email protected].

I have 9 buff orpingtons that are 1 1/2 years old. They have stopped laying and went through a very mild molt. Two weeks ago one of them layed a paper thin egg that they broke. They are fed a good lay pellet and crushed oyster shells. I am ready to get rid of them. They are beautiful hens. Do I need a rooster for them to lay or do they need to free range the yard. They are in an enclosed coop because we have coyotes and possums. If someone has an answer, please shoot me an email at [email protected].
Most chickens stop laying when they molt, they'll also stop laying in the fall and don't start up again until spring where the days get shorter because they need a minimum of 12-14 hours daylight unless you supplement their light. As for the soft shelled egg, it's not uncommon for little hiccups here and there, especially if they stopped laying for a period of time. Their bodies need to adjust.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Firekin1's post. Also, you don't need a rooster for your hens to lay. In fact, hens frequently lay better when they are not stressed by having a rooster around. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Great advice given..

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom