Hens stopped laying

JacksFarmNGardn

Songster
8 Years
Dec 26, 2015
New York
I bought 4 buff orp hens March 5. On April 4,5,and 9 I got 1 egg each of those days. Nothing since. Nothing has changed. All the hens should have turned 1 this month. All healthy,3 squatting.The roo is even mating them. There is no where to hide eggs and no signs of any being eaten. Their coop is in a kennel next to another coop in a kennel.any predator could take eggs from their neighbor so don't think it's that. What gives?

What are you feeding them? Are you sure if their age? Older buffs will lay sporadically like that. What is the size of their coop? Anything around them that would be stressful?

Mine have laid fairly well for about three years than they start to be less reliable for the next couple of years, laying here and there. If they are closer to three years old they won't lay as well. People can lose track of the age of chickens pretty easy, or say they are younger to get someone to buy them.

Look at the scales on the legs and the thickness of the legs, younger birds are smooth and tight in scales and the legs are fairly thin. Older birds the legs thicken and the scales are more raised in feel.

Meaning they are confined to a coop and mostly bare run?
Yes,a raised coop. Only things on the ground were a food bucket and water dish.

Anyways, my friend found a facebook page the person i got them from created yrs ago. There were pictures of buff orps dated july 2012. I sold them. Lesson learned. I will never buy an adult bird off anyone again. My last 2 orp hens ended up being males. I'm done trying for pure orps. I will be getting 2 light brahma pullets from the same local breeder i got my 2 ee girls from before. I'm gonna breed for my ee,from my ee/slw and ee/orp mix girls,and sexlinks from the orp/light brahmas. Already hatched out chicks from that combo.guaranteed girls sell and love the size the males get! Bigger than cornish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom