Hens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannon84, Jun 29, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I got two adult hens off my dad for my rooster so he wouldn't be lonely (he was a stray) well my dad said they are 3 or 4 years old. One hen was laying great first two weeks then stopped all the sudden, other hen only laid once then stopped. Is it because of the move or where they have never been around a rooster, or their age? Thanks guys!

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    How long have you had them? The move probably stressed them out, they are also pretty old for laying hens, if they are a production breed.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    It's likely due to a number of factors. They're probably stressed from the move (and being around a rooster), in addition to their age. Try to give them some vitamins and electrolytes so that their bodies can be less stressed, and the moving stress should settle over time.

4. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I agree with you guys, I've had them over a month now they seem settle now, but I had no idea till the other day that most chickens laying days are done with by that age that blew my mind! They are new Hampshire reds is that an egg production breed? I'll try the vitamins and electrolyte :) thanks for the replys!

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    New Hampshire Reds are good laying hens, production types more then likely if your dad got them from a Hatchery.
    How hot is it in your area? That might also be playing a role in their non laying. Your hens might be on the older side, but they should still lay a very once in a while.
    I ask how hot because where I live it's 110 constantly and most of my hens have stopped laying.

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    New Hampshire Reds are a production breed. If they were raised healthily at their previous home, they likely laid a lot of eggs and may not have many more ova left.

7. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    He got them at a hatchery in Illinois. It has been really hot and humid here the hottest it's been I think is 96 degrees but humidity makes it feel mush hotter, past few days it's been lower to mid 80s . I will say they are much fatter now with me [​IMG] hopefully I didn't mess them up :( I know it's hard on over weight hens. I need to stop the treats

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, I agree you need to stop the threads.

Enjoy the Chickens

9. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    That's true lol thanks everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by