hens stopped laying

Bill Hanrahan

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2016
I was keeping three Black Australorp hens in my yard (in Honolulu) and decided to introduce three chicks (two girls and a boy). My hens, who had always laid eggs in one of two places, changed nesting spots. I found one new spot, but when I took eggs from that nest, they moved again. They've always had the run of the yard, so based on BYC forums advice, I penned them in a run adjoining their coop. They've been in there for two days and now are not laying at all. They're not molting; there's been no change in the weather or their diet, and; they're not old (just under two years). There's no shell debris in the run or coop, so I don't think they're eating the eggs.They've been consistent layers until now (12-14 eggs per week between the three of them). What to do?

It's not uncommon for birds to respond to stress (change will often times trigger this)with a cessation in egg laying. But, to be on the safe side, give them both a good once over to check for parasites or anything else that might seem out of the ordinary. I hope they return to normal very soon! :)

Back
Top Bottom