Hens Stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johnc, May 9, 2008.

1. johnc

johnc New Egg

Jul 14, 2007
    My hens have been laying 6-8 eggs a day. All of a sudden they are down to 2-3 eggs a day. I fed them some scratch for a couple of days. Someone on the forum said you should only feed them scratch in the winter. Any truth to that? Anybody have any ideas.

How many times a year do hens moult? Or no specific amount? Thanks for your input.

JC

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    They say scratch in the winter because it makes them fat, but my first year with chickens I fed them only scratch and they lived. Chickens are super adept at hiding eggs, is it possible they have a secret nest?

3. johnc

johnc New Egg

Jul 14, 2007
    I thought the same thing. Looked in the few spots where they could hide them but nothing. . . .unless they are buring them in the sand.

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Huh, I had a similar problem earlier this year. I never caught anything in the act, but I now suspect a varmint (Most likely suspect is a squirrel). When I check for eggs two or three times a day, I get an egg per bird. When I check at the end of the day, I get 60% less!

5. Somechick

Somechick Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    New Ellenton, SC
    Brilliant! I never considered a predator!!! I have had the same question about why my chickens are not laying as many eggs after a month of heavy laying. I was accusing my chickens of cutting back, taking a break. I was getting a dozen and a half eggs a day and am down to a half dozen. I thought maybe it was something to do with having two years hatch, maybe one group (the older?) is taking a break? They look pretty raggety! I'm fairly sure nobody has molted since summer and I keep expecting it. But a predator (and we do have plenty of squirells here) is a real possibility. I'm going to try to gather eggs a couple of times a day to see if that helps. Thanks!

6. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I'm going to try gathering more often, too. I've never seen anything around the coop, but ya never know.

A friend suggested having a rooster visit for a couple days. She said it would be okay to keep him in a pen . . . he'd still get them excited about laying again.

Or should I let them mate and have some eggs to hatch? If this Q is really dumb, I plead my fairly newbie status. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by