hens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rsarns, Sep 19, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Started getting 2-4 eggs a day from my 20 week old pullets... for over a week they were laying pretty regularly. I was gone for 10 days, had someone who said he would feed and water them for me everyday. Came home and they had water but looked like they hadn't been fed in a day or so. Now they have not layed in 3 days... They look fine but really attacked the feeed when I put it out, but there was plenty of feed around the feeder they had pushed out. Could this be the problem or just a phase they are going through? Checked them all out (19 hens), and no mites etc... looked everywhere (fenced in) and no hidden eggs....

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they ran out of feed for awhile it could take awhile to restart the laying.

Hens stop laying when they are stressed. I cannot say how long it will be before they restart.

3. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    think it was just for one day, yesterday heard the egg song, but no eggs. WIll see what happens today. The rooster is still very active with the hens... and all seem to be in good shape and spirits. Hopefully they will start again soon. Just wondering if the shorter days up north here are also affecting them? I am putting a light in the coop this week with a timer to start at 4:30, about the same time the roosters start crowing anyway, and not turn on in the evening so they go to roost when they should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by