Hens stopped laying?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beana1225, Aug 12, 2008.

1. beana1225

beana1225 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Jackson
    We had a broody hen and it didn't turn out positive. It was her first time. Well she is now up and running again. Buff Orping by the way. Well Amelia did not lay an egg her entire broody time. And hasn't since which has been a week. Abigail, who has never been broody, has stopped laying. For like 2 weeks now. Lil Bantam cluck cluck is still laying just fine. I do not know what is going on. And to make things worse. My bantam roo Cock-a-dooie (I have 3 small chicken namers) has been staying in the coop for about two weeks. He will not go in the yard. I am thinking my Buff Orpin roo (Uncle Waldo) is not being nice to him. But I don't know why that just started cause they have been together for like 8 mths. But I'm no chicken so I have no idea. Help. Cause apparently I have no idea what I am doing. The one egg I put under my buff when she was broody hatched but died within 24 hrs. But we didn't know the bantam had been laying eggs under her the last week. And I think she was confused on what to do. She stayed on the little eggs for about 5 more days. But then she had enough. I got the eggs out that evening. They have another week in incubator. Have been candeling them. Thought they were bad at first. But then looked up youtube and watched the proper way to do it. They are all developing and going strong. Can't wait. Any advise... Thanks

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:I found it is better to wait until the hens are over a year old before letting them actually hatch a clutch of eggs.

Quote:Hens don't lay eggs when they are broody. My experience has been that for every week she was broody it will be one week before she lays again. So if your hen was broody for 1 weeks, It could be 1 to 2 weeks before you see her lay an egg.

Quote:Is Abigail acting like she is now broody? Have you checked to see if your birds are bothered by bugs? What has changed at your place? Weather? Added any new birds? Any predators bothering them that you may not be aware of?

Quote:It could be that the roos are determining who the alpha roo will be. It doesn't matter that they have been together for a long period of time. Our two roos got along great until they were 5 months old.

Quote:When you have a broody hen, I think it is best to separate them from the rest of the flock. That way no other birds can lay eggs in the nest and none get broken. And since the broody hen is by her self, she has less stress than when the rest of the flock is around pestering her.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by