Hens strange behavior after rooster killed

klaiello

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I recently lost my rooster Charley to a hawk attack in my backyard. He has been with the hens since they were only a few days old and was definitely their protector. Ever since his death, the hens have seemed very skittish. They used to roam the yard freely but now they hide near a corner of my fence or near my back patio door. Even when I go outside and try to coax them to other parts of the yard, they stick together and stay in their little hiding spots. Do you think that all of this is a result of being scared after losing the rooster? Does anyone know if this behavior is temporary? I would be willing to get a new rooster if it would help the situation and make the girls feel safer, but I don't want to make things worse by introducing a new bird to the flock.I feel like they are just as sad as I am about losing Charley!

It isn't because the rooster was killed.It was the hawk that has them shaking.After a while they probably will loosen up,but for now,they are proabbaly just too scared that it will happen to them again.

welcome-byc.gif

They're not sad about losing Charley, they're just afraid they're next. Look at it from their point of view, a monster appeared out of nowhere and killed one of the flock. I'm scared of monsters, so I'd be hiding too!

It's just going to take time without another predator attack to get them comfortable ranging again. Adding another rooster wouldn't be a bad idea if you've got predator issues.

Get another rooster!! I had my flock killed by a dog I had for five years around my flock. Except two red hens I have had for eight years. They were the only survivors. They were scared out of their minds... hunkered down like your describing.Got another rooster!! My old girls put him through their paces... kicked him around a few times but now they have warmed up to him and are grateful he is around... they all huddle at night together. But that is how God intended it to be and my hens are more happy with him around.

I would recommend getting another rooster. Seems to me a flock of hens is just happier with a rooster around and maybe for my own selfish reasons too. I love to hear a rooster crow.

Back
Top Bottom