hens stuck in molt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pheasantman, Nov 21, 2016.

1. pheasantman

pheasantman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I live in Colorado where it has been exceptionally warm and dry this fall. I have 15 self blue d'anvers, 12 hens and three roosters. They all started molting about 6 weeks ago. Three hens seem to be stuck in molting, just now getting some pin feathers, but they are "hunched up", just not looking good. I feed an 18% protein laying pellet, have access to grit and are free range. They come in a barn at night where they roost on the rafters. Any ideas what may be causing this problem? I know this question has been asked before and I dod research the forums for info, but wanted to ask again. Thanks!! Tim

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

If you have 3 roos to 12 hens, then they might be getting over mated. I would try to sell two of the boys; self blue d'Anvers wouldn't take long to find new homes for, I imagine. If they only have a barn to roost in, and don't have a distinct coop, then that might be why they are acting hunched up. It has been pleasantly warm here this year ([​IMG]), but it's still noticeably chilly, and it does get down beloew freezing most nights. I'd either build them a little coop, seperate a stall just for them, or give them their own little section of the rafters to roost in. That way their body heat can stay close to them and their flockmates. D'Anvers aren't known for cold hadiness either; my oegb girl thinks it's freezing out right now [​IMG]

3. pheasantman

pheasantman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    thanks for the input they have a specific coop but insist on roosting in the rafters. These chickens are three years old, have been together all their lives I really don't think its over mating, but I have separated them just to try. I really suspect its something missing in their diet but I'm not sure what. recently wormed. get meal worms as a treat. 18% pellets by purina heated water bowl. free range lots of straw on the concrete floor. Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by