Hens suddenly quit laying eggs in Feb. ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sue3, Feb 16, 2017.

1. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    I have just 6 hens less than a year old. Most of them started laying eggs in the fall and I have been finding eggs most days throughout the winter. About 1 1/2 weeks ago now there has been no eggs each day now. I am puzzled, since the days are getting longer and nothing has changed for them. I have had chickens for years and they might normally quit laying in the darkest part of winter but not suddenly in Feb. as the days are starting to get longer. We have had a milder winter than normal so it is not from extreme cold either. Any thoughts on this. I don't find any evidence of eggshell bits, as if they were eating them.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Its very possible they have stopped for a little while. Do you free-range?? If so you might want to not do that a few days to see if they are laying and you do not know where.

3. cjperrault1

cjperrault1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Beaumont texas
    that's interesting are they molting?

4. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    They are not free range as I only have bantam hens and fear they would be picked off by predators. Only one is broody acting also. Sure hoping they are just taking a brief break, yet it seems like an odd time for all of them to do so.

5. cjperrault1

Aug 8, 2016
    Beaumont texas
    are they getting grit and are they getting enough calcium? If not that may be the problem,or they may be hiding there eggs from you check everywhere possible

6. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    I have searched for another hidden nest, have not found one. Will try adding calcium to their diet also, and see if that helps.

7. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    They are not molting either.

8. cjperrault1

Aug 8, 2016
    Beaumont texas
    they could be taking a break

9. gemma23

gemma23 Just Hatched

Feb 16, 2017
    Do you have a light in your coop?

10. albsure

albsure Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Same thing just happened in my flock. Have 12 hens about 9 months old that have been doing great all winter long. Suddenly I'm getting one or two eggs per day.
    I'm in Indiana. Maybe weather fluctuations? We're now getting plenty of daylight but had a string of gloomy days.
    Going to add oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by