Hens suddenly stopped laying?

Kiwi Chicky

Songster
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
Te Awamutu, NZ
The story from the beggining ... And it's the end of winter here ...

We had 3 easter eggers in an enclosed coop with run. They had all started laying at least every second day. Consistently.

We brought a Barred Rock Roo and two of his ladies. they were also put into the enclosed coop, within a couple of days the new order was estabilshed and the 3 easter eggers were still laying most days.

We built a run around our old wood shed and converted the inside into a coop. Now they have a garden bed to dig in, lots of grass to run around and a nice warm shed to sleep in. They've been living in their new place for two weeks now.

The barred rock ladies haven't laid anything since they arrived 3 weeks ago- moving stress?? the guy who sold them to me said they were laying already.

The easter egg ladies have not laid a thing in the last 2 days. No eggs.

I did see Roo doing his thing with three of the ladies today, whilst I was hanging out the washing
smile.png

They get good laying pellet, a few handfuls of wheat, oyster shells, scraps and worms from the garden.

Why would they suddenly stop laying?
Can I do anything to help them start again?

Thanks for your insight
smile.png

everything sounds just fine. I had a Barred rock, an EE, and a RIR. I brought in a GSL and it took her about a week to start laying. They are still establishing an order. GSL layed for 16 days straight and today there is nothing. She must have just needed a small break!

I thought my hens had abruptly stopped laying, then discovered they were having all of their eggs eaten by snakes.

Thats one thing I'm glad I don't have to worry about - we don't have snakes in NZ
smile.png

Nor Racoons, I've heard they're big predators too.
sad.png

I know one of the EE laid a shell less egg two days ago, so I've upped their shell and given them whole milk from the cows.

But the others haven't had the wet butt that she had after it broke on her
sickbyc.gif
And the eggs from the day before that were perfectly normal

Ah well, I shall have to buy in some eggs for my new bator

Quote:
That sounds a little different. Now I'm more concerned.
Check their vent areas in the morning to see if you can feel an egg inside. Check to make sure they're not egg-bound.
You can search 'egg bound' and see if it sounds like your hens, in the meantime.

None of them seem to be displaying what others have mentioned as symptoms of being egg bound.

But I will watch them more closely tomorrow, and will check her vent, if I can catch her (shes not one I've raised)

Back
Top Bottom