1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens taking a long vacation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tomboone, Nov 21, 2012.

1. tomboone

tomboone New Egg

Dec 2, 2009
    We had a flock of 12 red sexlinks and I made the mistake of buying 5 Americana pullets and putting them in with the flock. They kept laying for a while and the Americanas did also.

But, we lost several hens to predators - racoons, coyotes, bobcats, something or things. So they experienced considerable trauma. (Most of them were killed and taken completely away during the day time when we were not at home. Now we are down to seven sexlinks and they haven't laid for about a month. Some of them molted and that affected them, but that seems to be over but they still aren't laying.

Days are short this time of year so I put a light on a timer in the hen house to see if that would help. So far - no change. All of them
    spend a good part of the day outside so they aren't broody and they look as healthy as ever. Any suggestions for getting them back on the ball?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Are you feeding them layer pellet still? Hope the come back from there vacation!
    Good Luck!

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How old are they? The older they are the longer it takes to recover from molt. Add to that the trauma of losing flock mates and it could be several months. Also sex links tend to burn out after two years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by