Hens terrified of new rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smalltowngal, Jun 22, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    So, we got a rooster. We had him crated and separated from the girls and they're terrified. They won't come down from the loft section at all. Even before he was let out. We did go ahead let him out and he's crowing and trying to talk to them but they won't come down from the loft. Is there anything I can do to make this transition easier?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Stay uninvolved if at all possible. Good luck.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Things are much better since I posted this this morning. Before seeing pp, we put melon rinds on the ground which the chickens love. Max was the first to fly down quickly followed by Ruby and popcorn. Feathers was last and they were kind of avoiding Dixon, the rooster, but it looks like they're starting to become friends. Dixon was very nice about the hens hitting and pushing him out of the way when I gave them some lettuce from the garden. He was polite and let the girls eat first and then nibbled on it himself. He is so cute strutting around the run. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by