Hens that now are roosters???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lesler5, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Lesler5

Lesler5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    It's a very curious thing that happened with my barred rocks. I got 3 straight run chicks in May and by a few weeks of age, it looked like 2 were pullets and one roo. The "girls" feathered early, had narrow bars, dark smudges on their legs and tails that were different from the slower feathering, larger chick. He took forever to feather but grew a large red comb, had large waddles and really long upright tail feathers by 3 months old. Very thick yellow legs. But then one day, I heard 2 birds crowing....one was my favorite "pullet". She didn't sound as good as the rooster but within couple weeks was really good at it. And then the other one started crowing too. They are smaller than the "real" rooster but at 4 months started developing hackles,larger combs and waddles. One died unexpectedly, and the other looks identical to a rooster in every way now...saddle feathers too, only the posture is more hen-like than the other real rooster who stands very erect and he is much larger.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I should just move the "hermaphrodite" bird to the rooster coop? Or is it ok to leave with other hens? One of my RIR hens has suddenly started to grow large comb now too and the Australorp getting large waddles. I'm nearly in panic mode that my flock is changing gender, although I think it's impossible!!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    This is the age that the combs and wattles on the girls will start to grow and redden a bit as they reach point of lay. The barred rock though, could just be a slower maturing rooster. When you can post pics, do so, and we can help you further. Also, it is not uncommon for hens to crow, though usually that happens in the absence of any roosters... [​IMG]

3. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks...I'm sure it's a rooster, though. Not aggressive at all, so I might just leave him with the hens. Hopefully no one else starts to crow! Even my RIR roo hasn't crowed yet...but I will be sure to check my roo pen for eggs once in awhile in case I do have them mixed! How do I post pics here?

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Click the "uploads" tab at the top of the page, and follow the directions. [​IMG]

5. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    Lol can you tell I'm new to this??
    [​IMG]

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:[​IMG] The face looks girly, but those hackle feathers sure look rooish. [​IMG] Hmm...

7. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    That's what gets me! And the tail is totally different too. The big rooster has very long feathers that go straight up and curl down. This one's feathers just go straight back....like the other hen's. I already have 2 roosters, didn't want more but I'm worried about selling it as a rooster if it really isn't!!

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Well, there are hermaphrodyte chickens.... [​IMG] I've heard of several...

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can hang on to it for a while if you want to. Sometimes they are difficult to tell apart. I find that the combs and wattles are a good indication but not necessarily for certain indicators until later. Thick legs, posture, things like that can be off too. Sometimes I have been fooled for longer than I care to admit.

Those hackle feathers have convinced me it is a rooster though.

10. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I can see saddle feathers starting too, so unless eggs are laid, I will say roo. But his name will always be Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by