hens that peck at hens.!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NickMichele, May 17, 2011.

1. NickMichele

NickMichele New Egg

May 16, 2011
    i have a buff orpington hen that keeps pecking at one of my americana hens and wont stop, picked clean around the rear tail area , would anyone know of a good remedy to cure this bad habit?.....thanks nick n mimi ...

2. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    what I have heard is to seperate them and when you put the dominant one back with the rest she will be on the bottom of the todum poll. I made aprons for mine and it help but i have to fix a bunch of them because the elastic was to big and they fell off of my chickens and they are bauld again. if you can find anything else let me know!

3. Secretchicken

Secretchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Try putting vaporub on the pecked area of the "victim". When the other bird tries the next time, they learn it's yucky.

4. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    You could also BluKote - it stains the area blue/purple & smells really strong/medicinal. I've used it on open wounds and haven't seen any pecking on them. Just make sure you wear gloves, or you'll be sporting purple hands for a while [​IMG]

5. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Separate them if you don't find any mites or parasites. Look for redness below the vent area.

6. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    more protein in their feed is what i have read in several posts.
    Layena is only 16%. game grower feed can be up to 24%. or you can supplement with BOSS.

7. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    im getting feed today so i might try the extra protein!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by