1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens to drake ratio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nova022, Aug 28, 2016.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Do to several of my hens being killed the one and only time I have forgotten to lock them up, I have three hens and two drake Pekin ducks. What is a good ratio of hen to drake? I like both drakes and would like to add females rather than rehome a drake.

2. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Add at least 3 more hens... More if you can.

3. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks for replying. I do have the opportunity to get several more hens. After they are quarantined what is the best way to introduce them to the existing flock?

4. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Divide your pen in half with poultry fencing so that they can hear/ see/ slightly touch beaks with eachother.
    Try short playgroups. They may do fine right away, there may be some squabbles (let them work it out as long as nobody is being seriously hurt). And if you try and try but there is always one bully - remove the bully for a day or two or three til they figure out they need to play nice or go to time out. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    They sound just like my chickens. I have three mean girls that I have to remove when I introduce new ones. When I put them back after a week it is smooth sailing. My ducks are so sweet, maybe they will all play nicely. lol Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by