Hens took over the kid's leaf shelter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nardo, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Nardo

Nardo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    So we had some big oak limbs come down during a big storm last week. I cut most of it up, and the kids were having fun building a fort/leaf shelter/lean-to whatever.
    Now the hens have completely taken it over. I water it down in the morning and they settle in and love it. It's cool in the summer heat and very private and they seem to feel safer.
    As an added benefit, it ALMOST keeps them out of the flower beds. Almost.
    Anyway, you may not be set up to build something like this, but if you can, the girls sure do enjoy it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Anujin

Anujin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    Super cute! It looks like the hens love it!

3. Nardo

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    They just moved in and made it their newest summer vacation home. [​IMG]

4. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok...I'm curious...let us know if they abandon their coop in favor of the kid's fort.

That is giggle-licious

Building forts as kid, Looks like fun times.

5. Nardo

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    As long as they return to roost at night, I'm not really worried about where they hang out.
    I'll let you know if they pack their bags and move in...

PS I liked making the fort maybe more than anyone else
    [​IMG]

6. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    When you think about it, that is almost exactly the type of shelter whey would seek out and use if they were running around in the wild. Open ground below to scratch around in and pick through, open on one side, yet good shade and protection from aerial predator attacks from above. My daughter's birds did about the same thing.......they would disappear under the brush during the day.......to hang out, scratch around for bugs, etc.

If you pay attention, the birds will tell you what they like simply by going to it and using it. So if you are going to build something.....emulate what they like.

A very good example and thanks for posting it!

7. Nardo

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    It almost blends in from a distance and then you can see movement and out struts a chicken. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by