1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Vent

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by k625, Jan 24, 2008.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    So I was looking at the vents on all of my hens after I found my first eggs to try and figure out which on it was that layed the eggs. Well I found her, and noticed maybe poop or a little bit of dark brownish stuff suck on some of her feathers back there, and also her vent seems to be quite "open" when I pick her up to look. Also seems so be more moist than the other girls. Is this how its suppose to be when they are laying? Is this normal?

Tuesday is the day I found the eggs, but no eggs since then. Whats the hold up lol??

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    One egg doesn't mean they will lay every day from then on. Sometimes you may not get another egg for a week or longer. It is enough to make you mental. LOL

Her plumbing is just getting started. If you are concerned rinse her bottom with warm water or clip the feathers with poo stuck to them to clean up her up.

As far as I know it is very normal for the vent take a day or two to get used to the egg laying business.

I wouldn't worry over it but just keep an eye on her if you really think it is abnormal.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't even LOOK at the vent - I'm scared! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by