1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens vs. Roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by seafood, Jul 17, 2008.

1. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    I have 10 chickens that are about 4 1/2 months old. At about 4 weeks old one of the Buff Orps had a much larger and reder come and waddles. But looking at him? now I do not see the obvious saddle hackels that are present in most roo chickens. Are BO just a different breed and the roos do not vary that much from the hens? Also...he? has not crowed once!

Second, of the three brown leghorns...two have much larger combs than the rest but the tails are still "short" and looking nothing like a traditional rooster. Should leghorn roos over 4 months have OBVIOUS rooster tails?

Thanks gang.

2. seafood

Feb 12, 2008
    OK...really starting to think that BYC has something against me. NOONE ever responds to my posts?

3. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    I'm new to this so can't really help but you might want to post your question in the breed/gender section. It's a busy section so you should get an answer soon. If you could post a pic that would help too. Good luck [​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Not really. When you post in one of the busiest sections your thread drops quickly, especially if no one has an answer.

I don't have an answer, but I will move this to the forum for it for better response.

5. seafood

Feb 12, 2008
    Thanks for moving to other board.

Seems sort of ironical that a webpage full of people with hundreds of chickens and no one knows how to tell a roo from a hen??? Especially considering that they are well known breeds.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Without pictures its hard to form an opinion. Its not ALL about feathers and not ALL about the comb or wattles - sometimes its the whole PICTURE.

Perhaps you should look around and see if you can find pictures of roosters, that age that breed and compare if you can't post a picture yourself.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Wildsky is right. It's not just about the comb/wattle or feathers... people really need to see a picture to be able to give good judgment calls. Sometimes a chick is too young to really tell even with a picture.

I posted a picture of my Brahma and have about half the people saying it's a Roo and the other half saying it's a pullet! I'll know for sure in about two months... [​IMG]

Don't feel bad if people don't answer your posts right away. Sometimes it takes a day or so because there are so many hundreds and hundreds of posts to look through. Sometimes a post just falls away into oblivion and it doesn't get answered. After about two days you can bump your post to get it back into the sight of people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by