Hens wanted for free for good home in North Wales UK

JohnPeel

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Tan Lan, North Wales, UK
My Coop
My Coop
In a post I put up, I told about how were are to pick up 6 rescue chickens from an egg farm. A person called Smoochie said that if they were taking rescue chickens they would get the ones that are advertised on Craigslist because they are advertised as bait or dog food.

That is pretty sad, and I have tried to look in free papers and gumtree, but have not seen any. I don't think we have Craigslist in Wales.

So, I thought I would ask here because I know there are a lot of people on here that live in North Wales.

If you have any egg laying chickens (not meat birds) that you need to place in a good home, and you live in North Wales, let me know and I can collect them. We don't know whether we can have a rooster, so hens is the way to go for now.

Here is where they will live. I have never kept chickens before but have always wanted to. They will have over an acre to roam around in, plus the neighbours horse paddock of around 5 acres, and a wood of around 5 acres, as long as the foxes stay away and I will do my best to make that happen.

And here is the brand new house I have built to keep them safe. It has 1/2" mesh everywhere, including a 2' skirt. Nothing will get into them including rats and stoats.

Yeah this is a better place to put it, nice set up good luck with it all. Ive heard that if your new to chickens especially if you've never owned them its not a good idea to get sick, rescue or battery hens as your first flock because it take so much effort and isn't that rewarding until further down the track.

Between the woods and all the horse poo they would get to dig through, it sounds like you have a chicken paradise ready for them. I always recommend Easter Eggers for a first time flock. They're docile, low maintenance, and you'll have a bunch of different colors of chickens that are guarenteed to get along. Sometimes when you get a few different breeds of old hens together, some of them turn into real bullys.

What are easter eggers? I am told the ones we will be picking up from the farm are ISA or road island red crosses, or something like that. I have seen the older lot and they are very orangy with white feathers showing throught the red feather.

Easter Eggers are a great breed that lay blue eggs and have fluffy beards :) They're great.

The bird's you are describing are ISA browns or more commonly, Red Sex Links. They are fantastic birds! Very freindly and great layers. Good luck!

There are quite a few reviews on ISAs and Sexlinks describing them as "boring". I've owned 10 different breeds of chickens and the 2 Sexlinks were some of the cleverist, beautiful chickens i've had. No matter what breed you start out with, your chickens will enrich your life with so much more than eggs. Caring for chickens brings me a very zen-like peace. There's nothing like a few hours in the chicken coop each day to center me. I totally understand why Monasteries kept chickens.

That's what I am thinking you see. I divorced 9 years ago when my daughters were just 7 and 10, and I have never been the same since. Although we keep in contact throughout the week, I have never forgiven myself and have lived with depression from that day. I only lived a couple of miles from them until this year when I bought the house I am in now, with lots of room and a place where they may want to come and visit as its also near the beach and a seaside holidy place. There is method in my madness, as instead of them just popping in with their own families when they have them, they may want to spend more time with me. I have remarried and we have been together 7 years.

Oh dear, sorry about the sob story, what I want to say is that I am hoping that the chickens will calm me and help my depression, its not all about eggs. Does anyone else have experience with chickens helping with low mood or depression? I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

Hi their your set up looks great, what a hen house. Just wondering if you were interested in 2 6month old silkie cockerels, we also have a 4 month old silkie cross which we have reared from a chick and he is super friendly and funny needing a good home also.
We initially bought 3 silkie hens at 12 weeks old and 1 silkie chick, as they grew 2 were definite males and now also the 4 month old is also a male. As we live in beaumaris(n.wales) in a residential area, we can't keep any roos long term. Our garden is plenty big enough for them and we have a nice hardwood house and run. I can e mail you pics of them?
Cheers for your time
Neil

Back
Top Bottom