hens weeks apart in age not laying -- what's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hot for hens in vt, Oct 22, 2009.

1. hot for hens in vt

hot for hens in vt New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    I have 4 hens (3 wyandottes, 1 buff orp) who are 24 weeks old and not laying. I also have 2 hens (americaunas) at about 20 weeks and another 3 (barred rocks and rhode island red) who are 13 weeks. Is it possible that the older girls are delayed due to the presence of the younger hens? Has their cycle been delayed due to the hormonal influence of the younger girls -- sort of the way it happens with human girlfriends? [​IMG]

2. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    I wouldn't think the difference in age would matter. The older ones should start laying soon. I have two 20 week old BR's and they don't even do the squat yet. [​IMG]

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a whole mess of chickens, B.Orp, and Wyandottes included, at the same age, 24 weeks.. they're not laying either. I think it's the decreased sunlight here in VT, in addition to all the nasty, COLD weather we've been having.. gonna freeze again tonight or tomorrow night.. my ladies don't like it, though they've been having a BLAST in all the leaves. Swimming through the leaf pile my husband just raked up, and exploding it.... hilarious!

4. hot for hens in vt

Oct 22, 2009
    Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. I was just really hoping for them to start laying before the time change...I fear if they don't by then, we're waiting for spring. [​IMG]

5. hot for hens in vt

Oct 22, 2009
    We have eggs! [​IMG] As of about 10 days ago!!! I'm pretty sure it's one of my golden lace wyandottes and my buff orpington. Going about every other day...so cool! They are beautiful! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by