Hens with bald heads???

kimslack

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
Western NY
Is it a common occurance for older hens (about 2 years old) to have bald heads? I think it may be a symptom of molting but wondered if this was a common look to molting hens? I have roosters and I've seen them in action. They do grab at the hen's comb when they are doing their thing but I've noticed that several of my hens are largely bald now where they weren't this summer. They seem healthy and vigorous and eat well and although its really cold now, they do take a walk outside for a little while when its not windy. The coop is not overcrowded but I do have 4 young roosters which I plan to cull down to 2 in a few months that live with 26 layers. They tend to clump together in the coop b/c of the cold and perhaps they are picking at each other a little... I've been giving themcracked corn and protein treats along with their feed right now since they are not laying all that great right now. Would any of these factors contribute to the bald head look?

Picking or even lice/mites could be a factor, but my money would be on molting. I might cut back a bit on the cracked corn, depending how much you're giving. I switched my layers to a grower (oyster shell available) because most of them are molting. Well, and because I have some babies in with them.

Half of mine didn't read the book, but molting is supposed to start with the head and neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'll just assume its molting then. They are no glamour girls now
big_smile.png
But maybe as we move away from the winter soltice, they will renew their glamourous selves! Kim

Back
Top Bottom