Hens with chicks fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eatin'Dirt, May 1, 2011.

1. Eatin'Dirt

Eatin'Dirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Las Vegas NV
    I have 2 hens that have chicks, they have been together not for 2 yrs. Got them in the same batch. Now that they have chicks they fight each other!! Like mean, drawing blood! Now one poor hen has to be locked up...... I have had chickens for a long time & my parents always had chickens & we have never seen hens do this..... What do you think the cause may be??? Do you think they will stay this way?

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Mine are fighting too, I think it's normal. They want the best food, water and space for their chick. I locked up the smaller, weaker mom in a cage and left the terrorist momma to run around in the coop as she sees fit. I also have a teeny tiny banty who has three one-week old(ish) chicks. She spends most of her time with the chicks outdoors but doesn't have problems inside with the moms who just hatched.

3. abubakar4u2003

abubakar4u2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Of course broody moms want to take care of their chicks. they will fight with each other. But i have also seen 2 or 3 hens together with the chicks. I think it depends. If both hens get broody at same time and sit on the eggs together then most probably they will not fight with each other when the chicks come out. Also depends on the breed. Some broody moms are too aggressive while some are not.

4. Eatin'Dirt

Feb 15, 2009
    Las Vegas NV
    Wellllll Ive had hens before with chicks, my parents have always had hens & chicks & NEVER had them fight before!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    What breed/ breed crosses are they?
    I have 3 broody hens that love being together, and then I have 2 that want to tear each other up.

6. Eatin'Dirt

Feb 15, 2009
    Las Vegas NV
    2 Cochins. Its just crazy.... Brats! LOL Im they do protect but just different... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by