1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terris1959, May 17, 2008.

1. terris1959

terris1959 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2007
    Lima ohio
    I've been raising chickens for several years now but this is the first time that I have had hens sitting on eggs so I have a couple questions I was wondering if you all could help me with.
    I have 3 hens sitting on eggs , should the roosters in those pens with the hens be removed before the eggs hatch or is it okay to leave them togather? And if they must be seperated could I put all three hens and their chicks into a pen togather or will the hens attack the chicks that don't belong to them?
    terri

2. terris1959

terris1959 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2007
    Lima ohio
    anyone?

3. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry that Im new to this also,
    I started last year with My first own flock and it turned out bad so I ordered some more this year and hopefully this turns out good, (Need to pass a 7 months)

I talked to my brother about this (He raised his own flock), He said Keep the rooster in,
    Like in the wild the rooster stays with the hen so why should do it now,
    Im tiring to be nice,

How long has the hens laying on the eggs for?
    How many eggs are the laying on?

Hopefully it turns out good,

4. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Last year, we had two hens sitting in a storeroom. One was in the corner and one in a box. When the hen hatched out her chicks in the box, we set up a nest for her/chicks in the other corner of the room(~12x12'). Had the door shut to keep cats out.

The momma hen attacked and killed the other hen, who was sitting on her eggs. About broke my heart. Thought I was protecting all of them, but in fact, just the opposite.

I'm pretty new to this too. Chickens were on the property that I bought, so I've been learning as I go.

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I seperate each mom, they attack each others chicks

6. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah ok thanks

7. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    OH NO!!!!!! [​IMG] I have two hens, in the same box, side by side, each sitting on about 10 eggs apiece. I was told I could leave the rooster in there and the hens would not let him harm the chicks. But how do I move the hens and eggs so they don't hurt each others' chicks????? [​IMG]

By my calculations, they should have about a week/week and a half to go before I should see some chicks. Don't want to make them leave the nest for good by interupting the brooding but don't want to get pecked half to death to move the hen and her eggs either. DEFINITELY don't want to lose the babies!!!!

What do I do now???

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  8. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Wait until the babies are hatched then move them and mom to a seperate pen. I wouldn't try moving them right now.

9. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    In my experiences with the hens raising babies, it just depends on the individual chickens. Some hens Ive had shared babies, and even shared the nest. Some try and kill the others babies, and some have even stole the other hens babies and raised them herself. The roosters go the same way. Some will attack the chicks, some dont care one way or the other, and some will try and help the hen care for the babies. I am new to incubating, but have always had hens what i called "sit" but here they are called "go broody" I think. It just depends on your chickens personality, because theres no way anyone can know for sure how a chicken will act.

10. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    Check this out...I'm stressing the other day about whether my hens are going to hurt the chicks...not a worry anymore. Went out to check on the girls and there's a little peep peeking from under the first one's wing. Momma let me pet her and hold the chick with no aggression. The two hens share the same nesting area but each have their own clutch of eggs. As of Wed. I count 9 little ones, with a few more eggs under the other hen. They all seem healthy and happy climbing over and under both moms. If I can figure out how to, I'll get some pics up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by