Hens with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandyp, May 24, 2010.

1. mandyp

mandyp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Margaret, Alabama
    I was out in my coop today & I noticed that at least 3 of my 9 hens have projectile watery diarrhea. I have had them for about 7 months, and they were young pullets when I got them. I have never dewormed them, or have had to treat them for anything. They eat layer pellts, seven grain scratch, & occasional table scraps. Otherwise, they appear perfectly normal, eating/acting fine. They do appear to be moulting. Should I just deworm them?? And what sort of wormer should I use?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. mandyp

mandyp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Margaret, Alabama
    Nice poo pics! [​IMG]
    It has been horribly hot & they have been drinking more, so that's probably it. At least thats what the poo site said. I was worried that they were coming down with something. They were 4H chickens, so the girl that raised them vaccinated & dewormed them when they were younger. I haven't had to do much for them except feed & clean. Hopefully, it will cllear up soon.

Thanks, Imp!

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. 1 Florida chick

1 Florida chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    That was a great link, thanks for posting! Who knew chicken poo could be so interesting [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Oh yes, chicken poop is a favored topic of conversation around here.

Mandyp,

Hope everything works out OK. You could give your chickens something like organic yogurt with live culture, think probiotics, that can help with digestive issues.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by