Hens with leg problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Henrieta1111, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Henrieta1111

Henrieta1111 New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    my Delaware hen cant walk, her toes curl and her ankles are bent. she has been eating and drinking and laying eggs fine Ive been giving her poly vi sol for about three days. its been about a week since i first noticed she had been limping now she cant even walk.
    also my speckled Sussex hen has been limping on her left leg but the toes are not curled and she is laying eggs, eating, and drinking i separated her and the other hen from the rest of the flock and both have been given poly vi sol. what should i do now.
    also there are 5 roosters and 26 hens (not keeping the roosters for long) its also been cold out.don't think they have Merrick disease because they aren't showing any more signs. they haven't free ranged for about two months because of the cold and snow we give them scraps,cracked corn,birds seed with nuts and reg layer food.[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would continue the vitamins, but I would only feed them a good fresh dated layer feed so they are getting all the vitamins and minerals they should. Layer feed is well balanced with all of the nutrients they need. Sometime vitamins will be lacking in feed that has been setting on the shelf too long. Hopefully it isn't Mareks disease. In riboflavin (B2) deficiency, if vitamins aren't given soon enough, the curled toes and walking on hocks can be permanent. Here is a good link or two about riboflavin deficiency:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

3. mitchello

mitchello New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    My hen started limping one day, and the next day she couldn't walk. After about a week, I started giving her Hypericum Perforatum, in case of Marek's. She showed no signs of improvement after about 1.5 to 2 months, so I began giving her Poly Vi Sol, she can move her toes, except one that is bent up. I have been giving her the Poly Vi Sol for about a month to no avail. She is eating, drinking, and laying eggs as usual. She moves around with her legs and occasionally her wings. Is there anything else I can do ?

4. Henrieta1111

Henrieta1111 New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks for the reply and link.

Mitchello sounds like the same symptoms as my hens I thought it was because the roosters were to hard on them at first but they have been separated for a week and they still arent walking right[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by