Hens With Naked Butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tylgar6601, Feb 24, 2013.

1. tylgar6601

tylgar6601 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    My hens have naked butts. There has been no decrease in egg production and they are eating and acting normal. Also the feathers at the bottom of thir backs where their tail feathers start look "fuzzy" almost like newborn chick down(sp). We also got 2 new roosters about a week ago and now one rooster has the same "down looking feathers" in the same place as the hens do. The hens were having this problem before the roosters got here. Any help would be appreciated.

2. tylgar6601

Mar 14, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This is pics of our hens with the naked butts and their backs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

3. tylgar6601

Mar 14, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This is the pic of the hens naked butts [​IMG] It didn't upload in the last post. Over half our hens have butts like this.

4. crazyhatch

crazyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Hello i would say your hens are starting to molt

5. FeatheredFreind

FeatheredFreind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    Did you check them for bugs? They say sometimes mites are hard to see. I would clean the coop and nesting boxes then put DE on them and in the boxes and throughout the coop. Good luck. A few of my hens look like that on their backs but I was thinking it is because those few are the roos favorites.

6. FeatheredFreind

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    I agree they may just be molting. Are they less than year? The first molt usually isn't too bad.

7. crazyhatch

crazyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    My hens do the same thing while they are molting i have been fortunate i guess that egg production didn't decrease much. We are constantly on the watch for mites and such. Not saying that couldn't be the cause here though.

8. tylgar6601

Mar 14, 2012
    Yes they are less than a year old. We got them all April 31st last year. They were 1 day old (give or take a few days) They are my sons 4-H chickens. There isnt a decrease in egg production either. I have gotten so attached to these girls.
    Also what is DE? Sorry we haven't had any problems at all so i am clueless. Thank u do much

9. FeatheredFreind

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    I would be willing to bet they are molting. They will be be beautiful again by summer. At least they are still laying for you. Good Girls!!!

10. FeatheredFreind

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    Just check their vents and under their wings to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by