1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens with rooster caused injuries

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HSerChickLady, Mar 19, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    We had our 8 hens in with 2 roosters and for a long time all was well. As winter went on the roosters got more agressive and one became so mean to people and other birds we finally had to dispatch him a few days ago. But now i have several hens who are pretty rough looking though noticeably happier. Today is only the 3rd day since getting rid of that particular rooster (now only 1 is in there and he's not mean-so far) and i already see fluff and the beginnings of feathers sprouting back on the hens that were the most injured. We had hens with bald heads, bare backs, bare and sore shoulders, and a couple with bare bottoms. Everyone who had pink skin in their injured areas were normal colored this morning. The one scab i found on a hen has healed and is gone. I'm mostly wondering how long it should take for these poor girls to heal up and regrow feathers completely? We're spending about 20-30 minutes twice a day watching them to be sure the remaining rooster isn't causing harm to the hens and that we don't have any mean hens. But we aren't sure about the time frame of healing and feather regrowth to be certain that our rooster problems are over.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

It'll take awhile, don't worry- my problem roosters's claws were drawing blood from the sides of my wider hens.

I have removed the roosters and the hens are healing up nicely. The feathers may take as much as 6 months to fully regrow, longer on large birds or slow growing breeds, good luck.

3. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Oh, good. I've been so worried about them, especially in colder weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by