1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens with scabs and spots on face??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stephanieshim, Aug 24, 2016.

1. stephanieshim

stephanieshim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Recently I've noticed that our egg production is down and I just assumed that it's moulting season. But a few days ago I saw some spots on my Buff Orpington's face and yesterday I saw a large whitish bump on my New Hampshire Red's face. As I am looking at my Brahma's I am seeing some small dark bumps forming too!! What do they have? Is it causing low egg production? How can I cure it? What do I do??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WiddleChix

WiddleChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    It looks like dry fowl pox. I'm not sure if it lowers egg production or not but its not a huge deal. You can read up on it there's a thread that specifically talks about fowl pox. When my chickens had it I put neosporin on the bumps a couple times a day and made sure they didn't get by the eye and I also checked for wet pox. Wet pox is the potentially fatal form of fowl pox as a yellow cheesy substance form in the mouth and can block the airway. Your birds just look like they have a minor case of dry pox. It should go away in a few weeks, that's the one thing is it takes forever to go away!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree, that is dry fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes during hot weather. It lasts 2-3 weeks, and without complications, usually is not fatal. There is a vaccine available for chickens where pox is a problem, and who have not already been exposed to it.

4. stephanieshim

stephanieshim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Thank you so much!! So I apply neosporin and it'll go away after a few weeks?
    Does my buff brahma have it as well??[​IMG]

5. WiddleChix

WiddleChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Yes, you just apply the neosporin a couple times a day, eventually it will go away. I believe I see a spot next to her eye, but just a little one. I can't tell but that might be one on her ear, I can't zoom in to see it better :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by