Hens Won’t Take New Chicks

Mary Ball

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
I have a flock I raised from chicks last year. I have two broody hens, one that’s been broody for a month. As recommended by other chicken owners I know, I put the 4 babies in with the more broody hen after they were out for the night. All I’ve heard was, “It works every time.” “Hasn’t failed yet.” Well, it didn’t work, they were having none of it, so the chicks are back in the tub in the barn.

She did lay next to them, and one of the four squeezed under her rear end, but she kept pecking the other ones in the head (hard). She was not happy. Am I out of luck? Is it even worth trying again tomorrow?

I don't know who told you that, but they don't sound very experienced. Nothing is guaranteed with animals. Some hens will take chicks, some won't. It's just luck, and unfortunately you don't seem to have any... Have you tried the chicks with the other broody? Maybe she'll take them... But be prepared to raise them yourself if she won't have them either.

I don't know who told you that, but they don't sound very experienced. Nothing is guaranteed with animals. Some hens will take chicks, some won't. It's just luck, and unfortunately you don't seem to have any... Have you tried the chicks with the other broody? Maybe she'll take them... But be prepared to raise them yourself if she won't have them either.
I did, she did not take them either. I figured since it didn’t happen tonight I was going to have to do it, but wanted to see what others here have experienced. Really kicking myself for not asking here before taking the advice.

I did, she did not take them either. I figured since it didn’t happen tonight I was going to have to do it, but wanted to see what others here have experienced. Really kicking myself for not asking here before taking the advice.
It's a learning experience. Now you get to enjoy them and have them all to yourself! Broody chicks are overrated anyway... So skittish and flighty :lol:

I have both sets right now - a bunch of chicks that my broody is raising, and a bunch of chicks that I'm raising in the house, all the same age. The broody's chicks won't let me come anywhere within 2 feet of them, even though their mom perches on my shoulder and tries to convince them that I'm okay. My hand-raised chicks, on the other hand, love taking naps in a big pile in my lap :love Hand-raised chicks are much cooler, by far!

I have both sets right now - a bunch of chicks that my broody is raising, and a bunch of chicks that I'm raising in the house, all the same age. The broody's chicks won't let me come anywhere within 2 feet of them, even though their mom perches on my shoulder and tries to convince them that I'm okay. My hand-raised chicks, on the other hand, love taking naps in a big pile in my lap :love Hand-raised chicks are much cooler, by far!
Oh yeah, the kids are super happy 😆❤️

Back
Top Bottom