hens won't come out of the cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cstange, Nov 22, 2011.

1. cstange

cstange New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    :(we have 4 golden comets that we raised from chicks...we are having very cold temperatures < 10 degree F and alot of snow; the chickens stay out of the coup most of the day and night (we think); They have a post they sit on snuggled together; So far their feet look ok but I am very worried that they will get frost bite and/or freeze to death. They continue to lay each day; seem to be eating ok but not drinking water as they usually do. Should I lock them in at night. the coup/nesting box is small but fits them comfortably and is much warmer...lizard rocks and warm light; the light is on a timer for 12 hours; I would appreciate any advise....frozen in Alaska

2. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I am no expert but could it possibly be too hot in the coop for them? Maybe turn the light off then put them in there and shut the door. They are safer in there anyway..

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I wouldn't provide any heat at all...the temp extremes between outside and in could cause your birds to become sick. Place them in the coop at night and let them do what they want in the daytime...nature knows best when it comes to animals and their tolerance to weather.

4. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    get rid of the heat, it is not needed. They go in when they want to, or put them in and shut the door. Heat is doing more harm than good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by