hens won't get off nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sutillman, May 13, 2009.

1. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I have two silkie hens that are sitting on nest all the time, night and day. Problem is there are no eggs in the nest they are sitting in. The eggs are always in another nest. Why would they be sitting on empty nest when there are eggs to sit on? I've been taking them out when I get home from work and making them walk around and eat. One of the hens just sits on the ground with her butt in the air and her wings fluffed out for about five minutes and then off she goes. Ten minutes later they are both back on empty nest. Any suggestions?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    [​IMG] You've got some broodies, you've got some broodies! Aren't they silly when they do that? If you have eggs to hatch you can put them under them and give them something to do.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    They've picked out their spots and want to stay there. Give them some eggs. BUT you do need to move them out of the nest boxes into their own private quarters. Eggs can get broken when the others are able to get in there. Chickens have a bad habit of trying to lay their eggs in the nest of a hen who already has a clutch. Fights can ensue, eggs can break.

4. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Just thought it strange they wouldn't set on available eggs. If you're going to be in there, might as well make yourself useful ya know?

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My silkies get very particular about where they want to sit, too. i have a couple that will go to where the eggs are, but others that just pick a nest and that's it. My bantam cochin is currently being broody on a shelf in the coop - no eggs, just trying to hatch that flat spot of wood.

6. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I have three hens that are very broody...I don't want them to be though...four weeks later still acting the same way...when will this stop !!![​IMG]

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:It will stop when you make it stop. The best way to break a broody is to lock her in a cage with a wire bottom off the ground. The cool air on her bottom helps. Give her food and water but do not give her a nest or any nesting material. In three or four days, she should no longer be broody.

If you don't have a cage with a wire bottom, just lock her up somewhere so she cannot get back to her nest. It needs to be light, not dark. You do not need to starve her or make her thirsty. For her own health, you do need to break her if you are not going to hatch eggs.

Good luck!

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. BROODY....... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    will they stay broody forever until tey starve or something? Will hens go broody even if they don't have a roo around?

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Yes they will go broody even with no roo. They will set on golfballs if ya let em lol Put em in a wire cage with no bedding for a couple of days...that should stop them....keyword, should. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by