Hen's won't go outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aalbury, Jan 1, 2010.

1. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Long story short, new digs and new run....but they won't go out! They stay inside all day and I shut the run at night. I forced one out but back in she went. 3 days have gone by. Should I toss them all out? Or just let them be couch potatoes?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If they are comfortable in the area that they are in, why disturb them?

3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I agree. Leave them alone, and they'll come out eventually.

4. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    They don't get much sunlight in there! I wonder if the door is too high, or the walk too steep...I'll give it a few days and see.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Well if you forced one out, and she went back in, then obviously the door isn't too high. Dont break anything that doesn't need fixin'.... they'll eventually come out on their own.

6. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Do you have an outside people door to the run?
    When we moved ours to their new pen we carried them to the run and then back in the coop while we were finishing the ramp.
    When the ramp was done, it took them a bit to decide to try it (they are chickens) but got used to it in no time.

Ours do spend a lot of time inside the coop also, because it is so comfortable for them. They like it, but they do spend time outside too.

Good luck [​IMG]

7. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Thanks! LOL on the breakin' what doesn't need fixin'!

One was just perching on the threshold, so I think it is that they're chicken..... I'll put some greens out there (not much grass right now) and see if the can be enticed. They try to leave with me when I leave the coop, so I thought they'd be all over the run when I opened it!

8. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    what if you put their favorite treat outside the door?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by