Hens wont lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smokeater413, Dec 6, 2011.

1. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    After losing 12 hens to fox attacks and then they went through the molt they wont lay eggs. It's been almost 2 months since i got an egg from 12 hens. put a light in henhouse a week ago but still no eggs. Any suggestions, otherwise its freezer camp.

2. smokeater413

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    Maybe a rooster?

3. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Just a few thoughts:

is the light on a timer? we have ours on at 5am and shut off at 8am, that way they go to roost at dusk and there is no confusion come summer time. Are you sure they are not laying? Perhaps they found a secret spot to lay in? Perhaps there is a predator thieving your eggs (a snake or rat?) Also, maybe try to give them some extra protein, yogurt, scrambled egg, I know thats a bit ironic as they are not giving you any eggs, lol [​IMG]

4. bigg

bigg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tullahoma, TN
    Try putting some Amino-Acid pills in their waterers. Works like a charm.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Go through that permanent post at the top of this topic in the forum by Speckled Hen.

cover the basics, plenty of food, plenty of water, no internal parasites.

Good luck getting them back on track.

6. smokeater413

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    Thanks guys, went down the list. the only thing i come up with is stress. Killed the last fox about a month ago, figured they would be back to laying by now. gonna look up the amino acid pills though. I am now looking to buy chicks so i will have eggs by easter. really confused.

7. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    yup stress will do it. they gotta get calmed down and enjoying life again. but adding light this late in season will not benefit them. they shoulda had light at least a month ago. it will take awhile for them to get their systems going again. they may not be done moulting. if you look at them, their may be blood feathers underneath all the pretty new featheration. id say you wont get a good production for another month or more.

as soon as the days start getting shorter id say late october, i start adding light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by