Hens won't roost in coup

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ILben, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ILben

ILben New Egg

Nov 7, 2011
    My brother-in-law has 6 red star hens that will not go in the coup at night, instead they will roost in the run. He now goes out every night and puts them first in the coup then goes around and puts them on the roast and locks them in at night. They were around eight weeks old in april when he brought them home and the have never went in and roosted on there own. they will go in and out all day and lay in the boxes but not at night.

My wife and I think they like to be carried to bed everynight. When I got my red stars 2 years ago, i just through them in the coup the first night and they do it on their own now every night at dusk.

Any Suggestions?

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Lock them in the coop for a couple days so they understand that its home.

3. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    i agree with the above post you will have to lock them up so they get use to being inside after a while all you will have to do is lock this up, plus it is safe to help with predators

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

X3 Lock them up for a few days.

5. PartridgeRooster

PartridgeRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Quote:Yes, with newly purchased chickens. I put them in the coop for a few days so they know where home is.

6. jpsbcfc

jpsbcfc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    west midlands, uk
    when i got my hens i was advised to lock them in for 24 hours, tbh i thought that was what everyone did.

it has worked for me on 2 sets of hens tho, they all go to their sheds when it gets dark now and always have done.

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:First thing I would do, at their age, is block access to the nest boxes. Don't want them to get in the habit of using that for roosting and making a mess in them.
    I'm assuming there is a roost pole/bar in the coop? If so, then have him place them on the roost by hand each evening after they have settled down in the run, then close them in. He may have to do that for a few days but, like yours (and mine) they'll get the hang of it on their own eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by