hens won't roost on the roost at night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunshine Chick 1, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Sunshine Chick 1

Sunshine Chick 1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    We have a 8' X 10' coop and a large run. Our girls have been in there for about 3 weeks now and they are still roosting right inside the door. The first night was the only night they were up on the roost. How do I get them to go up there at night instead of sitting right inside the door? They are about 2.5/ 3 months old so we have not put the nesting boxes on just yet and was going to wait a few more weeks before doing that.

Thanks

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    mine just kick back on the floor too..i figure if it makes them happy, so be it!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When they are ready, they will do it. Otherwise, what is being hurt?

You can set them on the roosts every night until they get the hang of it if you want to go top that much trouble. Entirely up to you.

Good Luck!!

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I went out every night for 3 or 4 nights and placed each and every one up on the roost. I waited until they were asleep so it wasn't as chaotic as it could be!! I only had to do this with my original chickens. The 2 batches that followed have obviously learned by example. Good luck!

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Mine did that until I set up a light to go on before dusk and off 1/2 hour after dark.

I think there wasn't enough light for them to get up well, since chickens see so poorly in the dark.

Occasionally I've had the light off because I needed the power for something else, and there they were, on the floor all night!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have any pictures you can post? I started with the roosts being 1 foot off the floor of the coop. The older they got the higher I would raise the roost. Initially I used a 1"x2" board. Now I use 2"x 4"'s with the 4" side up. Also my roosts are 2'. 3', and 4' up off the floor. They all get on the top one.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. I don't put a light on in my coop. The chickens learn to get on the roosts before it gets totally dark.

8. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I also had to put them on the roosts at night for awhile, but after a couple of nights, they got it. This was with the first batch. The older chickens taught the younger by example with the newer batches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by