hens wont sit on eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChuckenGirl, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    they wont sit on there eggs, this is there first year, so do they need to be taught? and one of the girls just let it get frozen and it get cracked open [eggs look funny frozen] and she pecks at it eating the shell. I dont know what to do =[

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Glue her butt down to the egg. It might work

I know wha you mean when you say the eggs look funny frozen. They look so weird dont they

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    What beed of hens do you have. Not all of them go broody. Even if they do go broody, you don't get to pick when. Hormonal changes cause them to want to sit. You can't control it. You can sometimes "break up" a broody hen and make it stop sitting, but I would never count on being able to make one go broody.
    Jody

4. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    THey have to have the desire to sit and hatch out the eggs, called a broody hen, some breeds have more tendancy towards broodiness than others also. So even a hen that has been broody will not always want to sit, other hens may never get that desire. And when they go broody they stop laying eggs.

Wow There was no answers before I started typing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Depends on what breed of chicken you are talking about...Hens just don't set or go broody on their eggs because you leave them in a nest weither its this time of year or Spring, Summer or Fall... A hen has to have a hormonal alarm clock going off inside her thats telling her to set on a clutch of eggs....

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Can you 'trick' a hen into going broody by leaving a nest full of fake eggs for her to set on?

7. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    wgc: i tried that and they didnt do anything, they kinda stared at it. lol
    and we have 1 bb red hen and the one that tries to eat the eggs is a golden duckwing. we only have 2 hens and 9 roosters. haha thats fun.

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:That's probably why the hens won't lay!
    a) The roos won't leave them in peace.
    b) They're afraid they'll hatch out more roos!

I have an EE that gathers up everyone else's eggs before she'll lay hers, and makes a real nice nest for them. I'm going to try putting 4 fake eggs in there to see if she'll go broody...

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Have they shown any signs at all of going broody? If not it is a waste of eggs and your time. They won't sit simply because you want them to sit.

P.S. Where have you been all week? I was asking because we had not seen you.

10. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    How many eggs need to be in a nest for the hen to sit?
    Does a hen ever steel a nest that has eggs already in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by