Hens won't stop eating Rhubarb

Silviaschicks

Crest Craver
Jun 6, 2020
Crest Country
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I have 3 hens that are a little more than a year old (their breeds are in my signature.) I have a big rhubarb plant in a planter approximately 2 feet off the ground, and all of my girls won't stop jumping up to eat it. This is weird because 1) usually only my BR jumps for food and 2) I've read that rhubarb is toxic to most animals, especially chickens. Is there any way I can stop them from eating rhubarb? Is it fine if they eat it? Thanks for the help in advance!

Hi, I have 3 hens that are a little more than a year old (their breeds are in my signature.) I have a big rhubarb plant in a planter approximately 2 feet off the ground, and all of my girls won't stop jumping up to eat it. This is weird because 1) usually only my BR jumps for food and 2) I've read that rhubarb is toxic to most animals, especially chickens. Is there any way I can stop them from eating rhubarb? Is it fine if they eat it? Thanks for the help in advance!
i got this off of google

rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid or oxalates that are toxic to chickens, causing jaundice, tremors and increased salivation. It's OK to continue growing rhubarb, just restrict the flock's access to the garden.

can you move it somewhere that they cant reach it

Back
Top Bottom