Hens wouldn't come out of the henhouse today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by L0rraine, Jan 19, 2010.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    This morning when I opened the hen house door the hens wouldn't come out. Not even for their cracked corn. A couple of them eventually wandered out briefly while I was there and kept looking up at the sky, but their run is hawk and eagle proofed so they shouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing a coyote or something was checking things out during the night (though there is no sign of any digging around the outside of the pen anywhere). Or maybe a raccoon was prowling around on top of the house. I have a pen with Silkies and another with some bachelor ducks that border the chickens' pen and they didn't seem bothered at all. I sort of thought that as the day wore on they would wander out, but they barely touched their food and I never did see them out of the house. I put their food and water inside when I locked them in tonight, which seemed to make them happy. They all look perfectly healthy, so I guess I just wait and see what tomorrow brings.

2. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Mine have been hanging out in the coop all week.
    I have a covered run also. I don't like when they stay in. It means I have to clean more.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Wow, I'd never seen them do this before, unless of course the weather is bad and it was a nice day here. Hope they don't decide to make a habit of it. Maybe I shouldn't have put their food and water in tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by