Hens wouldn't roost on bar?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Firetiger, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Firetiger

Firetiger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Redmond, WA
    Just acquired 3 orp hens, five months old. So far they have spent the night n the egg nest. So I removed the nest box.I peeked in the window and they are lined up inthe corner sitting in the pine shaving. How do l get them on the roost bar?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

First make sure your roost bar is higher than the nests. Then make sure it is wide enough so that they can sit flat footed on it as they do not grasp like other birds. Then make sure they can go that high and set them on it nightly till they get the picture.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    They should be roosting by now.

My guess would be they may not have access to roosts where they came from and never learned.

I follow the suggestions of the above post and they should get the hang of it real soon.

4. Firetiger

Firetiger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Redmond, WA
    Replaced roost bar (1 5/8" closet pole) with 2"x3" Boy they have big feet! May replace again with a 2"x4" bar.

Went out to the coop to give my first instructional class to three hens.

Low and behold two hens had discovered the new and improved bar.

In fact it appeared that the'splash' hen occupied a spot on the bar that the 'blue' hen wanted. They jousted back and forth for 10 minutes, the 'splash' not giving an inch. I finally came back in the house letting the third hen to find the bar on its own.

5. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I'm glad they have noticed so quickly. They were just waiting for you to be on the same page as they are. I am sure they are happy to have such a vigilant owner.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have a large circular bar and they love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by