Hens???????

chickenshow

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
do hens make alot of noise like roosters the reason im asking is i want to keep one but it has to be quiet

how loud becuase we live on the edge of town and i have raised bottle lambs here and i want to show poultry next year

They can be pretty loud, it just seems to depend on the chicken.

If you go to the thread "Why do my chickens holler and scream so much?"....chickachickaboomboom has a video of his two hens and their awesome clucking.

I was amazed and horrified.
lol.png
lol.png

Mine on the other hand are pretty quiet, but I did end up having one of my hens crow the other day, she is confused.
roll.png

mine only make a racket when a cat comes in the yard... or if you hold one and the other gets jealous
tongue.png
but my chick is very noisy - i am guessing if you have a loner chicken she will either be very quiet and depressed or lonely and whiny and loud?

Really the only noise problem is with roosters. Hens may make some noise but it isnt at 4AM!!! If your lambs didnt bother your neighbors then a couple hens probably wont either.

Chel

Quote:
Maybe not 4am, but 530am, 6am, 645am, 7am, 9am, 11am-2pm, 9pm, and,...uh, I think that's it.

And that's two hens.

Having said that, I think I'm starting to get used to it, as I'm sure others do as well. I'm also stockpiling eggs to give to the neighbor next door tomorrow. Give that a try and see how it works :).

You will probably find that they are not a problem, but be prepared in the event that they are. Just my humble, chicken-friendly opinion.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom